Ten ways of helping a family with dementia
- Stay in touch – show you care
A card, a call or a visit mean a lot.
- Treat the person with respect and dignity
Focus on what the person can do, not what they can’t.
- Do the little things
Cook a meal or run an errand.
- Offer specific help
Tackle something on the “to do list”.
- Find out more about dementia
Learn about the effects of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
- Organise an outing
Plan a treat that includes the person with dementia.
- Be a good listener
Support and accept – try not to judge. Find out more in Caring for a person with dementia.
- Stay healthy
So your family can offer practical support to the person with dementia.
- Make sure everyone has some time to themselves
Fill in as a carer from time to time.
- Everybody in the family’s important
Dementia affects everyone in the family differently. Find out how counseling could help.